Wednesday, October 11, 2006

There's a first for everything
Non-RA

Saturday.

9:03am

I was awakened by a ringing on my mobile. This mobile, was sponsored and bills totally paid for by Da Company. So any ringing on this mobile means bad news.

And I was right.

Apparently, I had forgotten to do something really important and the consequences were dire. In my haste to finish off other work in the office the night before(where I had stayed till 8 to complete), I had missed out on a very important task.

So there I was, panicking, with my stinking morning breath, calling my mentor and all other persons who would be in a good position to advise me on what I could do to salvage the situation. 800 metric tons of chemicals left on a vessel unable to discharge because of one person's error is no joke. The costs involved and the delay in subsequent shipments could very well get me fired.

For the first time, I screwed up really bad. At work.

But I am, after all, a person who's reaped good kharma, right?? So my mentor helped me tracked down some people, who were supposed not to be working on Saturdays, to sort things out for me. Of course, I felt bad that certain people had to rush back to their office and do extra things and rush the documents to the port when they didn't have to. And these are people I don't actually come into contact with and can't thank them for.

The issue was settled eventually, and all thanks to my lucky stars (and good kharma), there was no mentioning of this incident at work on Monday. I thought I was going to get a lot of tongue-lashing and such, but everyone was too busy to mention said matter again.

I am such a lucky person.

***************************

It was the Monday following the incident. Time for our month-end closing.

From morning all the way till 6pm, my phone never stopped ringing. I was getting calls by the seconds to chase me for documents, follow-ups and all loads of rubbish. Too many people were coming to me at the same time.


"Please arrange for LOI for this vessel. Vessel is arriving tomorrow. We must have the cargo discharged at vessel arrival."

Very Urgent.

"I just ran the report and the stock is still showing discrepancy. Please check and revert asap."

Urgent.

"Where is my order confirmation for tomorrow? I need to give to my transporter by today."

Very urgent.

"Can you please follow up with XXX for their product? They were supposed to lift it by end of Sept."

Very urgent.

"We must apply for CNB license by today. If not, there won't be enough time for them to process and we can't load the cargo."

Very very urgent.

How the hell am I supposed to do my work if everyone is calling me at the same bloody time telling me that what I need to do is URGENT??!!!

Everything was urgent. Or very urgent. Or very, very urgent. Fuck 'em all.

I didn't know how to prioritise. I was so lost on what to do next. In the midst of it all, I left my work station, went to the handicapped toilet, locked the door, and teared.

For the first time in my life, I cried about work.

I took a few minutes to re-collect myself and went back into the mad rush. And I worked, and worked and worked. My brain cells were burning at an accelerated rate. I packed up at 9.30pm, went home to bathe and eat, and continued working from home.

Da Company doesn't pay for my broadband service for nothing. I think I've sold my life, my energy and eventually my soul to them.

The pimples can't wait to pop. The wrinkles under my skin was dying to surface.

So, be prepared to hear more ranting. That is, if i get the chance to blog.

Arggghhhh.


11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

erm... prioritise the "very very urgent" first? :p

i'm sure you can do it, girl. we'll be here cheering you on. :)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Sibeh Sian said...

Omigod... usually I will write a very suan comment, but today I shall refrain from doing so lah hor?

Hang in there girl! You are very zai one, and will soon be powderful enuff to take all the shit in your stride. If you need a joke to destress (haha), you know who to call :)

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gee, feel sorry for you. am in logistics but at least not as bad. work end at 5:00pm and it stays that way. (p.s. also have company phone as well but only for private uses)

11:10 AM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

hugz

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dun lose you blog to Da company too can... .. =D
work smart, reckon it takes experience to know after a while which are the really Urgent ones (some ppl just like to bring the deadline 1 day before the real thing...Grrr) ;) For now...con't to gripe lady!!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to the world where leaving work everyday is an exercise of a choice of how much work to abandon...

Or you could apply the standards that we do:

Very Very Urgent - Court mention tomorrow morning.

Very Urgent - Court mention tomorrow afternoon

Urgent - Next week

Everything else - 2 weeks or more later.

Heh.

6:20 PM  
Blogger kanigi said...

Poor thing. =(

That happens to me sometimes too, where everyone and everything is screaming for my attention and I dont know what to give my time to.

Gambatte!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

ensui: i tried, then seconds later, someone will call, and push the thing he wants me to do, from "very urgent" to "very, very urgent". The whole thing repeats itself =S

sian: oh, u shd be the last person to wanna step on my toes now. I can do with a sandbag.

But im better now, work has been rather slow this week, so im taking a break, until next week where shpts start again! argh!

imnothere: i was in logistics too. and work ended early then. Im no longer in logistics now, but doing logistics stuff for a direct shipper. ha! and i thot it would be easier .... bleh... =P

sunflower: =) thanks.

freakkler: yes, yes, i will bear that in mind. Must not lose my blog. It's the only place where i rant and people sympathise! haha ...

Mela: erm, but all the work then were due on the same day. How?? I leave work everyday with work unfinished. Gosh, i hate that feeling.

you know the farnie thing is, when i was doing overtime, i was thinking of how work is like for you - u know, ur working late and working from home. In a sad way, i can empathise now.

kanigi: i resolute not to have someone scream at me. I will not give up and will work better. I will be more organised than ever so that i won't have people breathing down my neck.

thanks =)

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear Adrenaline,

reason for calling you "dear" is a thankyou for a wake-up call from you. i was at one stage thinking of moving to direct shipper thinking that it will be easier too. now, i am staying put and study for custom broking instead.
rgds
imnothere

7:53 AM  
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Well, on the bright side, You can lose weight real quick like that!

Keep your chin up!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

imnothere: actually i dont think all direct shprs are like that. But my company is a giant MNC, so maybe dats why the work load is crazy. Could be worse if u ever work for big freight forwarding firms,u know?

ogre: i hope so too. But so far, no results leh!

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home