Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Land of Smiles ....
or rather, the lack of it


Some stuff about my trip to sunny Thailand. Phuket is hot and cold at the same time; it's either raining heavily or it's so freaking hot u can cook eggs on the bloody floor. I would say that generally I had a great time; there was a lot of getting-to-know each other better, and i would have to say it's pretty successful. I got to know almost the entire team better, even my boss's boss.

However, our experience was very much marred by the hostility of the locals. Given that tourism in Phuket has taken a huge dive, I would expect the locals to be warmer and much more eager to please, so as to attract more tourists. This was not the case. Let me give you some examples:

1) It was suddenly pouring when we got to Patong Beach, where the night life and pasar malam are. We ran into a store for some shelter and started browsing. This was the first store we entered at Patong. The owner, who thought that we were just taking cover, refused to let us proceed further into the shop. Even when my colleague was enquiring about the price of something that she fancied, the owner refused to serve her. He said something to the effect of, "Don't touch my stuff if you're not buying."

Naturally, we were pissed. So we left the shop into the rain and head for the next one.

2) Everyone knows that bargaining is an essential skill when shopping in Thailand. And if you've been there, you would know that you always have to bargain for a much lower price than the stated one. But in many instances, when we tried to bargain, the locals either said, "xxx baht for looking only" or "20 baht. Tomorrow." This was their way of showing that you're unwelcomed to bargain.

3) If a negotiation fell through, and you decide to leave (since there are hundreds of shops there selling the exact same thing), they will say, "Go! Go!" in Cantonese or Hokkien, to chase you out of their shop.


Now, I'm not an unreasonable person. I do know that 100 baht means nothing to Singaporeans but it could mean something to the Thais. Which was why, when I did encounter good service, I didn't bargain that much. After all, it wasn't juz the product that I was paying for. I would say that the shops that did earn my money are those that offered friendly service, and truly represent the spirit of being The Land of Smiles.

Nonetheless, the staff at Club Med were great. They truly take care of you from the time you board the coach all the way till you leave for the airport. Warm and friendly.

Obviously, I needn't mention how good the authentic Thai massage was. I almost snored when the masseuse was twisting my body.

Oh, I didn't have money or much time to buy anyone any gift. So don't come asking me for sourvenirs or presents. And that means you,
Sian.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sibeh Sian said...

Ok, for your housewarming I will give you the very, very special Sibeh Sian -style massage :)

Anyway, I don't think I will ever visit Thailand. THe food so spicy one wor!

12:23 AM  
Blogger The One They Proclaimed Qiang said...

Duh you got so weak a not haha? Thought KFC also quite spicy.

I am surprised that those words came from Thais. From what I know, they are certainly one courteous bunch of people. Well maybe they put on fake faces. But least they are fake enough to make me think they are courteous. Hmmm~

7:45 AM  
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Quite surprised to read about your experiences in Thailand. Maybe it's the aftermath of the whole Shin Corp-Temasek Holdings debacle. Though the Thais are not known for their hostility to tourists. Hmmm, have you figured out the reason for their hostility?

8:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

same here. thought the thais would be more friendly. hhmm...

perhaps we can boycott thai goods to show our protest. or maybe even go to the IMf to show our displeasure. :D

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the shopkeepers sure arent very kind. tsktsk!!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the situation kinda differs in Bangkok...and the KFC there rocks..

7:37 PM  
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

ho! glad that u at least enjoyed part of it! club med for company trip? fantastic company!

11:31 PM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

sbs: Touch me, and I'll slice ur nuts off. Promise.

qiang: I was surprised too, couldn't quite comprehend at first, but got used to it after a while. heh.

ogre: im guessing it's becos they dun make as much money out fm Asians as compared to ang mohs? cos the ang mohs, dun bargain as much?

ensui: but ... but ... Thai stuff very cheap leh. how to boycott??

anonymous: yeap, deliberate one.

weez: actually, i did think bangkok would be much better. They were so warm and friendly the last time i went there, but it was a long time ago and im not sure if they've changed.

have they?

akk: well, i heard that another dept went hongkong or something, so this is considered okay only?? heheh ... but yeah lah, i still think it's great =D

11:57 PM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

I hope I can go back to Thailand again in year-end.

Hmmmm, you are just like me, I hardly bargain in Thailand and my friend said I siao.

Sian, the food not spicy one lah.... can get not spicy food.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well they haven't cos i was there about 2 months ago..haha, and fiona xie was on the same plane with me and my friends..haha

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home