Monday, August 14, 2006

Dry


The tap in my home's toilet is spoilt rotten. It refused to work properly, so we had to have it removed. However, this means that we have to turn off the main water switch so that water would not keep splashing out from the pipe.

When I got home from work today, I saw a lot of dirty dishes in the sink, my dog eating rubbish food, and I was unable to bathe after a tiring workout. All because of one tap. My mom had filled two buckets of water for us to use in the meantime. It was tough, having to fetch water from the toilet to do the dishes, and when I finally decided to turn on the main water switch, I had to bathe in cold water so that the water that was running freely would not go wasted.

All in all, there was a lot of inconvenience.

Then, it dawned on me how much I had taken things for granted. We live in a civilized world, where clean water would flow with the turn of a knob. We do not understand what it means to have to fetch water from the well, let alone dig the well.

When I was little and spent my holidays with my maternal grandma in Malaysia, my father would bring us over to his home, where his parents used to live. My uncle lives there now with his family. Everytime we went over, my father would always make me bathe there, even though I had just had my bath. When I refused, he would get very annoyed but would still insisted that I shower. His reason being, the water that flowed from the tap came from the well, and even during extremely hot days, the water would always be very cooling.

I was a kid, and didn't understand what the fuss was about. The water was chilling to my skin, and despite spending the first 14 years of my life bathing without warm water, I still didn't like that feeling.

When I grew up, I came to know that the source of the water, The Well, was dug by my dad and his elder brother. They started digging during their teenage years and it took them quite a while to finally reach the source of clean water.

I guess my father wanted me to enjoy the fruits of his labour, thus his insistence at my bathing whenever I went over.

It's been years since i last visited the old house with the well. I think, if I ever do visit again, I would most definitely bathe there, and at the same time, remember the hard work that was once put in, for this source of clean water.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sibeh Sian said...

Your Dad damn power sia.

And yes! Since you realise you have been taking things for granted, please do your best to save water and electricity ah! Do your part! For the nation :D! Heh.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

You will be surprise not all old ppl know how to save electricity and water. I have problem with my FIL and my mum! ha

9:06 AM  
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Nice post. We do take all too much for granted these days. We are living better and forget to cherish things.

11:39 AM  
Blogger sÞ¡ηηєє said...

That's why our govt force us to drinnk and pay for Newater.

reuse, recycle, eat shit den eat again...!

used to be in msia as well with my grandma (down six ft under for a decade), there no well, but i took water from a big dragon urn.. very kampung, i guess O_O

5:54 PM  
Blogger Zhe Bin said...

I once had to dig a mud trench for a camp (it was dug to let campers crawl through the muddy waters and get dirty.. and well, that's the whole and only point), and it was freaking tough! Backaches, arm sores.. And I believe that to actually dig deep enough to reach the waters, it is Masculinity Points +10.

It is wonderful to see how a spoilt tap can generate so much thoughts in you. Hahaha. But yeah, of course it is these lil things that make us realise we shouldn't be taking things for granted.

However, you know you have a really cool showerhead now, so I guess you need to cherish your fantastic showerhead first, but not before fixing the spoilt tap. Thank you.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

sibeh sian: actually, i have been doing my part to save water and electricity. seriously.

sunflower: erm ... maybe they didn't have a tough "younghood" dats why. haha.

ogre: yeah, dats wat i realised too.

spinnee: i bet the water came fm a well as well =)

binny: yeap, it was very man of my dad. Our parents' generation can take a lot of tough training; so different fm our current men. hee. i dont mean u hor.

and please lah, i was referring to the old tap in my current home, not the new one lah. kaoz.

11:39 PM  
Blogger bigbanana said...

its not only old peeps who dunno how to save water n electricity. i see young, ignorant adults who also do the same thing. i see people who didn't close the tap properly in toilet in my workplace and caring peeps hv to put a sign there to remind them water is PRECIOUS!

people seriously need to wake up their idea n be more caring just a little bit!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home