Monday, October 30, 2006

COMFORT


You remember when you were young, you would always sleep with this dirty, old pillow or blanket? I used to have a sarong for my security blanket. I travelled with it. If I didn't get to smell it or touch it when going to bed, i can't sleep. It's got this hold over me like a spell. Fortunately, I was still sane and didn't name my blanket, unlike some people.

As I grew up, my blanket started to tear and I was left with bits and pieces of it but my bedtime habit remained the same. The blanket even followed me to Aussie land. Until one time, my housemate chanced upon it and exclaimed, "What the hell is this?!"

It suddenly dawned on me that my security blanket had become a small piece of very old and ugly rag. I decided that I can't possibly spend the rest of my life holding on to that torn blanket. And from then on, I kept in my wardrobe (still didn't wanna throw it away cos the sarong was given by my late grandmother) and I do still steal a peek (and touch) once in a blue moon.

Why do we fancy our old pillows and security blankets so much?

1. Cos it brought us comfort.

2. Cos the smell is good (despite what your family/friends/spouse might say)

3. Cos it keeps us warm when we're cold.

4. Cos you've had it for too long and you can't bear to throw it away.

Does this sound familiar? Sometimes, it is not the old pillow or security blanket that you can't bear to throw away. There are times when you're in a relationship, and you're so comfortable with your partner that you think you're in love with him/her and you will spend the rest of your life together. You think that:

1. I don't want to live without him/her.

2. I trust no one else, other than him/her.

3. We laugh and joke and have fun together. It's so comfortable being with him/her.

Just like that old pillow, you feel comfortable with that special person. You can't bear to leave that person. But do you love him/her? We don't want to part with that smelly pillow/blanket, but that doesn't mean we love the pillow/blanket. We juz love the comfort that it brings.

I'm no expert, but I think you know whether you love a person or not with these signs:


For him:

1. You love the smell of her hair.

2. You love the way she laughs.

3. You whine like a baby, only in front of her.

4. When you miss her, your heart arches like it's being clenched.

5. You only want to have sex with her.

6. You think she's beautiful no matter what other people says.

7. You find yourself playing with her cats even though you're not a fan of house pets.

8. You realise that you want to protect her, always.

9. You love how she whines with you.

10. It kills you to see her cry.


For her:

1. You think he smells good even after a game of soccer.

2. You think he's damn "man" even though he's afraid of cockroaches.

3. You find him attractive, no matter what your friends say.

4. You find yourself constantly feeding his ego.

5. When you kiss him, the "current" is felt from head to toe.

6. You want to hold his hand only, and never let go.

7. You only want to be intimate with him.

8. You want to cook for him.

9. You only whine like a baby in front of him.

10. You cannot bear the thought of hurting him in any way.


Sure, the list goes on, but i'll just name these few.

Anyway, the reason why I brought it up is because I realised that I may be a security blanket for someone. A recent series of events brought me to this deduction. I shan't elaborate but it would appear to be so.

I had a discussion with Mr BF earlier and I asked him some questions, not expecting any answer. I just wanted him to think about what I said. If, in the event that he agrees with me, there might be no wedding to look forward to. Although it's kinda late to back out now because of the monetary and housing commitments, but we'll work it out somehow.

Oh, and sorry for the late of updates. Apart from my ill health, I have been too troubled to blog. Will try to update soon.

18 Comments:

Blogger Sibeh Sian said...

I wanted to post some stupid comment when I read the first portion of this entry, but think I better keep my big mouth shut after reading the second half :(

All I want to say is this: Please, please don't leave Mr BF for me! Although I am utterly hamsen, clever and a very good boy, don't!

Heh.

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Chanced upon your blog, and I can totally relate to what you're saying, but, just that I think it's the other way round now. I think I might be treating the other person as my security blanket. There's still alot of thoughts for me to sort out though.

Anyway, I wish you all the best, and hope that whatever the choice is, you'll be able to live a happy life :)

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swapped my old terry cloth security blanket for terry cloth Espirit shorts I bought a few years back. I even got two shorts just in case so I think I'm all set for another 20+ years.

Anyways, sorry to hear about the doubts you're having. Maybe it's pre-wedding panic attacks? The fortune-teller told us we're not compatible so there was a lot of room for doubt in our relationship but so far things are going well and every few days I'll see my hubby in a situation that reminds me of why I love him. =)

8:26 AM  
Blogger Sibeh Sian said...

On a more serious note, do remember your friends are always around for a cup of kopi. You have my number :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Green Ogre said...

I can understand what you're saying. You can call me anytime. Stay strong.

9:50 AM  
Blogger JK said...

hey gal, sounds like a cross junction situation here. Make a decision that you feel right and wont regret k. Call me if u need to talk to someone.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i do agree with gracie about the pre-wedding panic attacks. perhaps you are getting paranoid and stuff when nearing the wedding date?

in my opinion, if you're comfortable with someone and can't bear to leave him, its love as well. perhaps its not a raging bonfire of love where you feel the 'current' everytime you kiss, but its a steady burning flame that won't go out no matter how hard the winds of misfortune blow. :)

we all have different definitions of love and i hope you will make the right choice. as everyone here says: as long as you're happy. :)

8:20 PM  
Blogger Jj said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

sian: i know u're in love with me, but no matter wat tricks u try to pull, i won't fall for you lah. Give up, will you?

and please lor, call u for kopi? that day call u, only ask wat u doing later, then straight away tell me u got a lot of things to do. wat if i was suicidal? Fuck u lah.

lai lin: i hope u sort it out soon, cos if u're not the type to feel contented abt being a security blanket, u'll be devastated to know that you are one.

Thanks for the well wishes.

gracie: erm ... i hope u dun have the habit of covering ur face with ur "security blanket" though. It's gonna look weird.

ogre: Thank u.

green alien: Thanks. it's hard to know whether i'll regret it or not tho'. Tough decision to make.

ensui: maybe u're right. but it juz doesn't feel right for me rite now.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to leave a note of encouragment behind. I a 'SBS-expert' on love matters so not much from me. But I feel the same as ensui too regarding definition of 'love'. The points you 've blogged might be a tad too narrow in defining it. Oh well, everyone has different views on it. But from the looks of it, you are doing the 'right' thing?! -> marry someone who loves you more than you love him/her. :p ~haHA.

12:37 AM  
Blogger socute333 said...

are you ok girl???? its sad to hear you having doubts at this pt in time but maybe its the coming marriage jitters... but i think never too late to make a firm decision whether its a yes or no... i think you are a smart girl so i noe you noe wat to do

1:42 AM  
Blogger Sibeh Sian said...

I didn't want to mention you asking me out because you didn't want everyone to know that you asked me out! Heh heh heh ;)

And. I agree with Ensui. Wise words.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember my offer of cookies and cat polictics :)

Our door is always open.
Take care

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its a 'either... or...' situation now for u. Its not going to be easy to make a decision on ur part. Will not offer any comment but do remember that ur brother's door is always opened and will stand by u no matter what happen.

Mr M***

12:31 AM  
Blogger imnothere said...

please becareful and think twice before you jump off to a completely wild decision.

it is better to have someone reliable who can stand by you in the life's battle than someone as handsome ( as SBS ) in shining armour who is only interested in himself.

that's my AUD$2 worth.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

This is we called 婚前恐惧症?

oh well... i oso agree with imnothere, think twice.

But then there always an look back if really find he is not suitable.

Good luck!

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in my opinion, it could be a case of being too familiar with one another. it is true that there's a difference in being emotionally attached to someone and being in love with that person.
Guess you could just take some time off, travel somewhere alone and think about it for a while. I do think it would be a good solution to think twice.

the most influential person in your life should be yourself, because ultimately u make the decision. i believe in moments and living for the moment. how about you?

10:07 PM  
Blogger Dare2dream said...

hope u have sort out yr tots already.. if u need help, pls scream..! Anytime..

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home