Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Don't be a thief


I never saw plagiarism as a big deal. When i was in poly, we never had to quote any source for the information we used (until the final year, when one of our lecturers made us do it). Information was free and we could use it in any way we want.

When I was went to Uni in aussie land, we were told on the first day that plagiarism is a very serious offence. You can get your ass seriously kicked. And by that, I mean you can get kicked out of your school. Now, I was thinking ... "What is the fucking big deal? It's not like my paper is ever gonna make it to the Australian Times or something." But I did my references properly anyway cos I really don't have that much of an ass for the kicking.

In my second semester, I did a paper on marketing for one of my electives. I spent days and nights (stopping only to bathe, pee, smoke, eat and sleep) to complete that paper. At the end of it, I was so proud of the finished product that I actually sent my paper for a review to my tutor. She confirmed that I was most likely to ace that paper. Which I did. In fact, I scored a whopping 95 out of 100, ranking 2nd in the entire cohort. Man, was i proud!

Anyway, after that, a schoolmate wanted to borrow my paper for reference when she had to take the same subject the next semester. I hesitated. I didn't know if this particular schoolmate would put her own effort into the paper or just steal all the goddamn brilliant ideas from mine. Which made me realised that plagiarism is not just something that is against the school rules. It's morally and ethically wrong to steal somebody's ideas and pass it off as yours. It's something equal to stealing. It's even worse when you score well or make shitloads of money from someone else's ideas.

One of my housemates actually almost got into knee-length shit one time because the school accused him of plagiarising. He didn't plagiarise but a fellow schoolmate had borrowed his assignment and ended up submitting a copy exactly like his own. Therefore, the school had no idea who the originator of the paper was. He and the other guy were let off with a warning and both of them had to re-do the paper.

Although the schoolmate was such a jerk, it was silly of my housemate to trust that guy who wasn't even a close friend, but just a fellow Singaporean.

What I'm saying is, don't steal other people's ideas, but likewise, don't allow other people to steal yours.

Oh, I did eventually lend my paper to my schoolmate but she didn't get to use it as a reference cos' her assignment topics were different from mine. Thank god.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As a soon-to-be-true-blue engineer, i can't write essays to save my life. my gf proof-reads any that i do write, and it comes back unrecognisable as my piece of work (meaning it has improved greatly >.<).

but in any case, i do get what you mean coz i still write an occasional essay and now my honours thesis. a close malaysian friend of mine experienced the same as your house-mates: a Chinese National female student borrowed his work and handed in a exact copy. after much convincing to the tutor, he avoided a failure. whew. :p

8:34 AM  
Blogger Zhe Bin said...

Oh yes. My sch uses a software to 'detect' or 'look out for' any signs of plagiarism for all our projects. ALL. I mean, seriously, if there's only this few ways we can come to the question, how far is this software gonna work?

But, of course, I know how frustrating it is to be copied. I used to hate it when my Chinese teachers read out my compo to the class. HAHA.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Green Ogre said...

You're right. Plagiarism is bad. End of matter. It's not all that difficult to acknowledge some piece as someone else's work.

After all, it takes a smart person to recognise genius.

It boils down to respect, courtesy and some bloddy ethics.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

ensui: oh, we don't expect anything more from engineers =P

And i don't get how stupid how some students are - copying the entire essay? i mean, come on!

zhebin: wah lau, what school were you in?!

I agree with you but i guess the software is meant to prevent the same thing that happened to my housemate.

eh, please lor, want to hao lian about your chinese, do it in your blog lah!!! hahaha ... juz kidding only hor.

green: And sadly, ethics is often missing from our Asian culture.

Or am i juz stereotyping?

11:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oei! be nice, can? in the beginning, there was nothing... because there were no engineers. lol... :D

and yarh, some students can be so kum-gong at times. >.<

P.S: the infomatics dept at my uni uses a similar software that Zhebin talked abt. they used it on the students' essay and it can get really stressful for the students. :p

12:00 PM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

ensui: in the beginning, we had wheelock carts and all that wat. heheh .... :P

glad my sch didn't use that software then! then again, my essays are always original one, so i didn't have to worry. heee...

5:11 PM  
Blogger pj said...

omg. I did uni in oz too, and I hear you on the plagiarism part. Hehe, some indo students tried to ask me to freaking WRITE their paper for them. eejits.

Anyhow, my school uses the software too. It's called some innocuous name like apple or sthg like tt, can't remember now, but apparently a 3000 word count paper can be checked for references in 5 mins. compared to manual timing of 30 mins to 1 hr.

And anyhow, there are techniques to plagiarizing. :)

9:47 PM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

pj: u shld do it for them and charge them for it! hehe .... we know how poor students can be over there! u'll probably make good money.

11:01 PM  
Blogger pj said...

adrenaline: hahaha.. pity that I told them to fly kite then. :)

2:05 PM  
Blogger barneysaurus said...

Finally I have time to read your blog. Heh heh....

I kena 'copied' by others before too, damn sian.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Adrenaline said...

barney: u? are u sure? or was it the other way round?

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home